What is an Affiliate?
Affiliates are one of three types of re-sellers in available in the Bokun platform.
Using Affiliates as a method to increase booking is very popular in the travel industry. A travel blogger joins your tour and writes a great article about their experience. The blogger reaches out to you or vice versa and you two decide on a commission in return for an affiliate link that the blogger can then add onto their website. The blogger then earns a commission from all the product sales that take place via the blogger's website.
How do I track my Affiliates?
You can track your Affiliates using a unique code that they can add to the URL for their website.
How do I set up Affiliate tracking?
Create your affiliate by navigating to Contracts > Affiliates.
Select "Add" to create a new Affiliate.
Fill in the appropriate fields and hit "Save". Title and Commission are both mandatory.
Once you save the Affiliate, a Tracking code appears. That is the code you need to send your Affiliate so they can add it to their URL.
How do I add a tracking code to a booking engine?
For the tracking code urls to work, you need to configure your booking engines with the tracking code. All widgets can use the tracking code feature.
- Navigate to your Widgets. You can find them under the gear icon in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Open the settings for the Experience Time Selector booking engine you want to use affiliate sales tracking for.
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a Checkbox labelled Get affiliate tracking code from query string. Check this box if it's not checked already.
- Changing the value of Affiliate tracking code query param name is optional, but this string is used to create the URL your affiliate links to. If you change this, you need to reflect the changes in the url
How do I change the URL to include the Affiliate tracking code?
To generate the URL that your Affiliate will use to link his tracking code, you add: ?trackingCode=[Insert the Tracking Code here] at the end of the url.
If your booking engine is embedded on a page that has the address (Please note that the link below is not a live link, but used to show a format example):
Your affiliate will use the URL (Please note that the link below is not a live link, but used to show a format example):
Other tracking methods for affiliates
You can also:
- Create booking engines for your affiliates for them to display on their website.
- Configure booking channels to track affiliate sales.