Affiliates are one of three types of re-sellers in available in the Bókun platform.
Using Affiliates to increase bookings is a popular method in the travel sector. A travel blogger joins your tour and writes a neat article about his experience. The blogger wants to link to your webpage and get commission from sales that are created after his readers book your products. Proving which of the bookings are derived from his efforts can be tricky.
Bókun has a solution. It depends on a string of code the blogger adds to the link he uses to refer his readers to your website. Hopefully some of the readers will turn into customers for you.
Set up the Affiliate Tracking
- Create your affiliate by navigating to Contracts > Affiliates.
- Click Add at the top of the page.
- Fill in information about your affiliate.
- Click save.
Once saved a Tracking code section appears on the page. (see screnshot below)
Configuring booking engines to listen for tracking code urls
For the tracking code urls to work you need to configure your Booking engines.
Booking engines for all product types can use the tracking code feature.
- Navigate to your Widgets.
- Open the settings for the booking engine you want to track affiliate sales from other websites.
- At the bottom of the page you will see a Checkbox labelled Get affiliate tracking code from query string. Check this box.
- Changing the value of Affiliate tracking code query param name is optional but this string is used to create the URL your affiliate links to. If you change this, you need to reflect the changes in the url (see below).
Examples of URLs with the tracking code
To generate the url your affiliate is supposed to link to for his tracking code, you add a ?trackingCode=[Insert the Tracking Code here] at the end of the url.
If your booking engine is embedded on a page that has the address:
Your affiliate will use the URL:
Other tracking methods for affiliates
You can also:
- Create booking engines for your affiliates for them to display on their website.
- Configure booking channels to track affiliate sales.